Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Zion's Camp

While I was working on my talk for Stake Conference back in April, I was asked to present a workshop at the upcoming Single Adult Zion's Camp Conference at the end of the following month. The workshop was to be on exercising and healthy living. I put it in the back of my mind, for I had to give a talk much sooner than that.
A couple of days before Stake Conference, while I still did not know what I was going to be saying, I was out running, trying to get some inspiration. Of course I was struck with what the topic of the workshop on exercise would be. At the time I was frustrated, for I still had almost two months to work on the workshop but the time was ticking away before I would be speaking in Stake Conference. But I was grateful to have received some direction for the workshop.
Since LeNae use to live out here and missed Zion's Camp last year, I suggested to her that she should come out for it. I was thrilled when she decided that she would. We had a wonderful time with her, made us wish that she still lived with us. We made time to play at the park, read to the boys, went to dinner just LeNae and I, and of course, made a stop at Mitchell's ice cream. I had most of the information for the workshop prepared, just not organized to the degree I would have liked. Poor LeNae got to hear me practice the entire workshop on her like 5 times, then she went to the first workshop that I presented. At that point she could have given it herself.
Because I was presenting, I got to come early and listen to John Bytheway speak, he did a great job, very entertaining and inspiring. Then I got to present my workshop.
The participants had time to go to three workshops. Within that time there were many workshops to choose from. I was assigned to give mine 3 times.
The first time I gave it, the room was very empty. All that had come were my supportive old Young Women, LeNae, and a few other girls. Because I knew most of the people quite well, it was a much more personal setting. The next two sessions, there was not an empty seat in the room, they had to pull more chairs in, and there were a few people sitting on the floor. I'm telling you that there isn't much that is more intimidating than having someone you don't know a foot away from you, looking up at you and listening to what you are saying. It helps bring out the insecurities so that I can work on them.
Even though there were a couple of moments that I felt nervous, especially before I would start each session as people were coming in, wondering if I had anything of use to tell them, I actually had a good time. I felt that the workshops went over well and that I was guided by the Lord as to the format and information to present.
We were sad to see LeNae go home, but we sure had a great time with her.

No comments: