One chore that they have had for almost an entire year is that of unloading the dishwasher.
It started out that I would just have them hand me the dishes, then I would put the dishes away. Then one day, not long after starting this, Mikey pushed a stool up to the counter, grabbed a plate, put it on the counter, climbed up his stool, and put the plate away.
He was so proud of himself, and I celebrated him for his progress, all while thinking, "Wow, you guys are done. Now that I know that you can do this, I will no longer be unloading the dishwasher".
Now it is the boys' job to unload the entire dishwasher. They take turns as far as who takes care of the plates/bowls and who takes care of the cups. For some reason they both prefer to take care of the plates/bowls. They usually take care of the dishes as I clean up breakfast, so they are supervised and the kitchen is getting clean.
Grant has been handing the dishes to his brothers, though we do try to encourage him to only handle the plastic dishes...doesn't always work.
A lot of my schooling resources state that Kindergartners need a lot of experience of sorting things, well they get a lot of experience with sorting in doing this chore. Knives, Big Forks, Little Forks, Big Spoons, Little Spoons...quite a lot of sorting. I've even played some "Which one is different" games with them using the silverware.
There are days that it would be easier to unload the dishes myself, but I remind myself that I am dealing with character development, not time management. One thing that I do when they are acting more distracted is I set a timer for them to get the job done. If they don't beat the timer, they don't get a jelly bean...watch out for the meltdowns then.
The good news is that to date, I've only lost one plate.
1 comment:
My boys unload our dishwasher too, only they HATE to do it. Hopefully it's the age difference not the character?
Post a Comment