Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Believe it or not, they were good

The other day I went to a playgroup that was set up by the early childhood PTA. Because the other two women in our group couldn't make it, there were only three of us mothers. This was our first time meeting each other. One mother had one 16 month old boy, and the other mother had a boy Mikey's age, and a 6 month old baby. The woman with only one child seemed quite overwhelmed with her one kid - struggling with him at the moment and telling us of how difficult it is to get things done (if only I only had one child at home - I can only imagine what I could get done!?!).
The other lady spent a lot of the time trying to get her 3 year old to obey better. He was taking toys away from all of the kids, and being quite defiant to her. She was getting quite frustrated. I had to smile a little to myself for my kids (for a change) were little angels. The boys were sharing very well with everyone, taking turns, bringing over toys for William. I sat back in my chair and they only came to "bother" me with saying to me, "I love you very much". When it was time to leave, they were awesome at cleaning up the toys, and when they were given a candy, they each said thank you, while everyone else was struggling to work with their own kids to even behave.
I left feeling like I had just achieved a victory that I never thought I would get. But, that was just one day, everyday obviously isn't that satisfactory. Anyone with kids knows that they are not always perfect nor imperfect. I do have to say that I am thankful that I am not overwhelming myself with one kid (I do believe that for the most part, it's not that one child is that difficult, but rather it is we, the parents, that make it seem so difficult), nor am I struggling to get my young child to adjust to having to share with a new sibling or others. You may laugh, but having so many kids so close together really does have it's benefits - but not every day. I don't feel the same when I need to go grocery shopping.

4 comments:

The Jones Fam said...

I totally get what you mean about mothers of only one child being uneccessarily overwhelmed. I was totally one of those mothers. It's odd to say but I almost find it easier to be a mother of 2. I don't have to focus all of my energy and attention on just Jaylee anymore. Jett has definately brought a calm into our household.

Lisa Johnson said...

Someday when I'm a mother, please remind me that I shouldn't overwhelm myself with one kid! I think I already overwhelm myself with the thought of having a kid! You are definitely one of my role models when it comes to being a good mom!

Amber said...

I just love your thoughts and I agree with having my girls close together too. It is really great but then has it's difficulties!! I'm glad that your boys did great at your playdate!

The Lassen Family said...

I found your blog through Lexi's. (Spending way too much time checking out all her links. :-) Anyways, I love your blog! Your boys are adorable. I'm not surprised you had a good day with them. You know I can relate to the 3 under 3 thing! We missed you all on Thursday. Hope Joy School went well and we'll see you soon!