While I was preparing dinner, Todd was looking at our fish. He quickly discovered that one of the goldfish (the one that we had nick-named William because of the similarity of a black mark on his head that matched a bump William is currently sporting) had died. Todd was just going to dispose of it without saying anything about it to the kids, but I suggested that he use it as a teaching lesson. During Easter I tried teaching the boys about Jesus and His resurrection. Each time I taught the boys would listen and commented on the story, but I thought that this would be a real life experience.
We got out our pictures of Christ and of his death and Resurrection and proceeded with the lesson. The boys thought the dead fish was VERY interesting. After the lesson - not quite sure how much they really took in - Todd took the fish and flushed it down the toilet with the boys watching behind him. Well, obviously that part of the lesson was totally absorbed.
All through dinner the boys discussed little but the fact that the fishy had died and "Where did the fishy go?...Daddy put it down the potty". Later that night I overheard Mikey playing with a toy fish saying to Roger, "Uh-oh, he's dead. We got a go flush him down the potty".
But this morning Mikey said to me, "Mom, where's the fishy"
Me: "I dunno, where is the fishy?"
Mikey: "Fishy with Jesus, he come back 'amorrow (tomorrow)".
Well, we're trying and I guess it is a start.
4 comments:
That is so sweet, what a good lesson to teach the. I love to hear what little kids say. You had better watch those last 3 fish very closely in case they decide they need to flush another one down.
At least your not like my mom and waited until the fish was dead to flush them down the toilet. My mom would clean the fish bowl and accidently flush it down (yeah right mom). You and Todd are great parents!
Is your house cold or something...why is mikey wearing a big coat in your house?!?!
That's funny, I've been thinking lately how hard it is to teach Jaylee about certain things. Every night she is fighting us on saying prayers and it's hard to explain to her about Heavenly Father etc. I guess it all comes with time right?
Good lesson! I think it's amazing how much kids really do absorb and learn. Also, good call about using it as a teaching experience. I think the boys will remember that better than just a picture or reading a lesson. We try to do the same thing- if we remember :)
Post a Comment