As I was folding my laundry, I came across one of William's shirts. I stopped and admired how cute and small it was. Sometimes I am struck with how small my boys are. This shirt reminded me of another memory.
Before Mikey was born I was preparing for his arrival by washing all the baby clothes I had (ya, actually wash them, and it was probably 3 months before my due date). I was imagining my child in these tiny clothes. Some people had given me a few 12 month-old outfits and I looked at them in unbelief. I could not imagine having a child that old. I imagined a year-old child that would understand a lot, speak almost perfect English - pretty much an adult compared to the newborn infant I was expecting. I knew that my tiny baby would one day grow up to be a one year-old, but I still could not imagine myself with one.
Back to the present, the smallest size in the O'Neil household (for the next 2 months anyhow) is 12 month-old, and these clothes belong to my baby!! Yes, that age that I perceived as so old, and so "grown up" is actually throwing food off his tray, pooing in diapers, taking naps, and any other trait that is characteristic of a baby.
How funny it is that we perceive children older than our own as so "grown up". Just like I now think a 6 or 7 year-old is so old and life with my boys being those ages will be incredibly different. Thank goodness that isn't the case, for even though I love to see the progression of my boys, I would hate for it to happen too fast. It already goes too quickly, and it really makes you appreciate the time that we have with them.
2 comments:
My baby is two! And I still think he is a baby. I expected my first to grow up, but not my baby!! It is so important to enjoy each stage they are in. Even during the messiest times...
I totally agree with you! It's just plain crazy how quickly they change and become these little people! It's fun, but then I just wonder if I'm missing moments with them. Lately, I've been trying to make mental notes and pictures in my head everyday. At least it makes me feel like I'm trying to cherish them as they change and grow. Take care pregnant lady!
Post a Comment