Sunday, May 18, 2008

A BIG Stretch

Saturday we went to the zoo for a walk to support finding a cure for CF. The walk was a lot of fun, taking us all around the zoo. I have gone to the zoo many times, but it was nice to have Todd with us. Todd couldn't believe how difficult it was at times "herding" our kids. It just made him more impressed that I had taken the boys all by myself to the zoo just week before. The walking, especially being full-term pregnant, was quite difficult at times. Usually when I go to the zoo, I go to one area of the park and let the boys spend a lot of time looking at the animals that they want to - the benefit of living close and having a membership. But the walk took us all around every corner of the zoo. At times I thought that afterwards I would just go home and deliver the baby that night. Fortunately I survived the walk and the rest of the day.
After the walk there was an after-party with lunch and a DJ. This was a family event, so they catered to young children very well. They had "Pirate Willey" in charge of the music and dancing. Mikey was fascinated with the pirate and the dancing. Once he finished his food, Todd took him and Roger to the dance floor - William danced in his seat with me.

Now Mikey is a little timid and shy. Imagine our surprise when he actually participated in the dancing. Even when Todd had to leave his side to go after Roger, Mikey kept on dancing - with the support of his giraffe. He had a really great time, Todd & I loved seeing him getting involved with other kids.

Now, the shocker occurred after the dancing was finished. Anyone who knows Mikey knows that this is a really big stretch, but for those that don't here is a story that will illustrate for you. I went on a Disney cruise this last summer with my family. All along the cruise would have characters on board with the opportunity to get pictures with them. My children, of course, weren't really interested in getting the pictures, nonetheless stand by them. But, one night they had "Peter Pan". My boys were really into "Peter Pan", so I took them to get their picture taken with him. Mikey was very excited to see "Peter Pan" all while waiting in the line. Once we reached Mikey's turn, Mikey freaked out and refused to even be close to the man.

After most of the people had left, and the workers had started cleaning up, "Pirate Willey" was taking a few pictures with kids. Mikey walked up to him and we got this:

We were shocked. This was not congruent with what we know of Mikey, but we were so pleased that he stretched himself.

2 comments:

Lauren and Trevor said...

I love the picture of the boys in a row looking through the fence. That is just precious! I keep checking your blog for baby news. I am excited for you and hope that everything goes well. You are wonder woman!

The Lassen Family said...

Yay, Mikey!