Thursday, April 30, 2009

Porter, Porter

In March Melissa's little boy, Porter, turned 3. I was meeting her at the pool on his birthday with my younger two boys while my older ones were at Joy School. I love celebrating other people's birthdays, it's such a great opportunity to let them know how special they are, so I had William bring a present for Porter.
Now, before giving the present to Porter, Mikey had seen it and questioned about it. I told him that it was for William's friend, Porter. For some reason he got really excited and insisted on writing Porter's name on the gift.
Since then, my boys will mention Porter in their prayers. I don't know why, but they do. They mention Mom, Dad, Mikey, Roger, William, Grant, Nae ....and Porter (which sounds more like quarter when they say it). It has been somewhat humorous to me because I'm not sure if my boys even know who Porter is.
The other day Roger said his normal prayer, adding in a "Bless Porter". Upon finishing he said to me, "Porter's really really sick, huh Mom?"
This surprised me on many levels. You see, Porter has Cystic Fibrosis. CF is a heredity disease that causes the patient to have very thick mucus (among other things). A common cold can be very serious to a CF patient because they cannot just simply cough the congestion out, it's very thick. So, even though I hang out with Melissa a lot, I try to not have my kids hang out with us because with 4 little boys, I cannot guarantee that we wouldn't expose some kind of bug to Porter. In reality, she shouldn't even allow me into her home because I hang out with my boys all day (I may carry more germs than a day care).
I really haven't talked to the boys about Porter having CF, which is why I was so surprised when Roger mentioned that Porter was very sick. But it did make me grateful that without my prompting, my boys were praying for one of their little friends who needs an extra prayer.

1 comment:

Jonathan and Carley said...

I love this! Abigale has been doing this too. Jonathan's sister has been going through a hard time lately and almost every night Abigale mentions her in her prayers without any prompting from us. Kids are so in tune and I feel blessed to be a mom. BTW you're such a cute mom and hopefully we will see each other soon!