Monday, October 18, 2010

Angry Eyes

Have you ever been so mad that you didn't know what to do?

Well, I have, and so have my children.

Roger and Mikey are very different workers, advantages in their own ways and disadvantages as well.
Roger is very organized and precise about putting things in the right places. Everything has a place and a place for everything is his motto. The only drawback to Roger's working is that he gets side-tracked very easily, thus making the task seem endless at times.
Mikey is a very hard worker. He will keep working and working until the sun goes down (He will occasionally space out and go to "Mikey-land as Liz called it). Mikey is the one doing 80% - if not more- of the children's cleanup. The only problem is that Mikey is not organized. He doesn't care which basket the toys go into, just put them into a basket.
Mikey and Roger are in charge of unloading the dishwasher every morning after breakfast. Their younger brothers may help if they want, but it is not required of them, yet.
Sometimes keeping them unloading the dishwasher can be more work than help, but I keep telling myself that I am raising my own personal slaves...I mean, I am trying to teach them about working and building their character.
Knowing the differences in their work habits, you can imagine that there are troubles at times.
While I was cleaning up breakfast and the boys were putting away the silverware an argument broke out between the two. They were arguing because Mikey was trying to get done as quickly as he could and Roger was insisting that the "long spoons" (those that are used for milk-shakes and such, yes, I was given these and yes, they have made my life miserable on more than one occasion) belong at the top corner of the drawer and Mikey was just putting them with the "normal spoons".
I usually try to stay out of their spats, trying to encourage them to learn to work out things on their own, trying to encourage them to do this without hitting or kicking, but I will step in when needed.
Mikey had hit his limit though. He was mad. He obviously didn't know what to do. I looked up to see Mikey doing this to Roger: Thank you to Todd for being willing to re-enact Roger's part
I was shocked. What was I witnessing. Roger was just patiently taking this eye-squeezing. I guess at least there wasn't any hitting or kicking.
Now the silverware is Mikey's job solely while Roger takes care of the other odds and ends from the dishwasher.

1 comment:

The Andra Family said...

As much as Colin and Mikey seem to have in common, I will say that Colin takes Roger's side on this one. Colin is SO particular. Carol compares him to Clayton.
Cute story.