Today we are touring the Living Room....or is it called the Family Room? It's not the nice room, but the room that we spend most of the time (outside of the kitchen and our backyard).
Here is our Fireplace: Tell me which picture you like better:
I like this picture better, but I like this frame and mat better, and the first is a canvas so not so easy to swap out. (Todd disagrees with me, but I feel like we see enough snow that we do not need a picture to remind us of our upcoming months)
Along the fireplace mantle I have my Willow Tree statues (love them - Todd has given them to me on special occasions) my favorite in the picture below (which also happens to be broken, don't try picking it up for half of the woman and boy will be in your hand and the rest will remain on the mantle)
and random pictures that I love of our family.
To the right of the fireplace is this bookshelf. Here's the top portion, on top is a Christos statue that my mom gave me for Christmas during my first year at college, above the statue is a light that would make it look awesome except we hardly ever turn it on because those "special guests" that you try to impress never come over. On the second shelf are my remaining Willow Trees along with a statue of the Sunstone from the Nauvoo Temple, where we were married. The bottom shelf has some old books about Ireland that I inherited from an old library. I would try to get the tags off but I'm scared of ripping the covers.
Here's the bottom bookshelf. Not as orderly as I would like.
Next to the fireplace is my favorite window. I love how beautiful it is and how it makes you feel like you're overlooking an awesome (and well taken care of) garden - just an illusion though. Todd keeps on insisting that we get some heavy curtains to cover up the window with during the winter to help keep the cold out but I kind of feel that on those days when we are cooped up inside all day, I feel a relief having some natural light and connection to the outside through those windows.
Here is also a leather couch we purchased from my cousin. If you ever need extra clothes, come to my couch. The pillows may look full but they start to sag. To remedy this, I stuff old clothes into the pillows to help give them more volume. Resourceful, heh?
Next to the couch is our blanket basket, something that is needed year-round, especially since in Ohio the weather can change faster than you can sneeze.
The next wall has a window cut-out to the kitchen and an entrance into the kitchen. This way I can see my kids as I am making dinner, and they can climb up onto the window cut-out and jump (not something I encourage nor allow, but it still happens)
Here is the cutest little kid chair that we inherited from my dad's old vacation house in New York. Grant loved it so much the last time we were there, so we took it home with us. It's a good thing too, my dad has since sold the house, fully furnished. The bear was given to Grant when he was born by one of my friends.
Isn't this the best setup for any little kid? My kids love, love, love to look at books. I put our library books in this basket for an easy grab for the kids and an easy pick up for me when it's time to return the books.
On the next wall we have an entrance into "Mom's Nice Room". Kind of obnoxious if you ask me. It provides a difficult room arrangement factor, and when it's like this (the best configuration I could figure out) the boys like to climb from one couch to another (another thing that is not allowed in our home, but somehow it still happens). Or the boys will climb and hangout in the space between the two couches (this I do allow, it gives them their own "hide-out" and I remember doing something similar as a child). One good thing is that it does let more light into the room and adds to the open floor plan.
Over here is my scripture reading chair. This is where you will find me after my morning exercise, getting in my spiritual exercise. To the left of the chair, leaning on the bookshelf is my yoga mat.
This couch is another item we inherited from my mom when she sold a home in Nauvoo that had caught on fire and the furniture smelled like smoke and had to be in our garage for months...all during the middle of the winter last year! Oh, you don't remember this, well, I do. It's obviously a sectional, but with the middle section we couldn't fit it anywhere in the entire room, so we put the table in there and it works marvelously. This couch really makes this room feel more cozy than the strict leather couches did. Above the couch is my declaration of what we believe in.
Here's Joey's hangout (or hideout, I'd avoid the kids if I were him too)
Hope you enjoyed this tour, now you know way too much of just this room.
No comments:
Post a Comment