Thursday, January 22, 2009

Class of 2022

I went to a Kindergarten Registration Information meeting. All I can say is, "Who's child is starting school?" I swear none of my kids are old enough, but apparently yesterday Mikey was a baby and today he's getting ready for Kindergarten. I have to admit that during the meeting I did get a little choked up (I know, shocker for those who know how often I get emotional) when I realized that Mikey really is not a baby anymore.
Mikey is getting so grown up. He gets dressed by himself, won't even let me come in his room in the morning until he's dressed. He does not like to spend much time in his pajamas (which are NOT PJ's, he can't figure out what LeNae is talking about when she says PJ's, hehe). The moment he wakes up he changes into his clothes. He's brushing his teeth all by himself, even getting the toothpaste on the toothbrush.
He has been super helpful. He cleans his room by himself, fetches diapers and wipes for me, will sit and feed Grant his bottle. When I vacuum, he gets everything out of the way for me. In Joy School a few weeks ago we introduced the "Gunny Bag" (a pillowcase that eats all the toys not put away). Since then, Mikey has been so good about cleaning up the toyroom before each meal so that "Gunny Bag" won't eat his toys.
The only thing I can complain about is that Mikey has been enjoying teasing his brothers just a little too much (and you can only imagine how upset Roger gets when he is teased, can't say I don't blame Mikey, it is kind of fun). But he is still great with his brothers. Just today William tried attacking Mikey (William is very use to getting his way), and even though William was letting the fists fly and was attempting to tackle Mikey, Mikey just put up his hands to shield himself while waiting patiently for me to intervene.
So, this fall I may be one of the only mothers who didn't shed a tear when any of her four children were born, but cry like a baby when her oldest starts kindergarten. I've gotten soft.

2 comments:

Terra said...

Its hard not to cry when the bus takes them away, but mine were always so excited I had to laugh too. I still can't believe I have 2 in school. Wish we lived near each other to Bella and Roger could do joy school together

Sirpa said...

Wow! That sign! Class of 2022... It's one thing to get them registered for Kindergarten, but then to show the year they will be graduating too. That's pretty powerful.