Friday, January 9, 2009

Shots

Grant is an entire seven months old... and he just got his first immunization shots. Yay for him.... yay for me having to deal with him.
I don't do the well-baby visits, after your first child they (at least to me) seem so very pointless. You go in, sit forever, waste an entire afternoon asking your children to stop touching things, just for your child to be weighed, measured, and told that everything looks great. Also our cheepo insurance doesn't cover anything, so needless to say, I just don't do it.
With that, it is no surprise that all of my kids needed shots. Roger was the lucky one only needing one shot. It was so bad that even I had to get a shot.
Luckily LeNae was around to help me. We had the kids go in with me and the nurse one at a time, oldest to youngest. Mikey was a champ. He had to get several shots, and even though he was crying, he still allowed the nurse to stab the other arm. I told Mikey, "I'm sorry, I know shots hurt, but they aren't bad, they're good, they help you to not get sick."
Seeing William's size, the nurse was surprised with how much of a fight he put up. "He may be small, but he is strong!" she exclaimed.
Afterwards they got to go home and snuggle up to a movie.
Later that day Mikey and Roger grabbed some of their toys and were giving them shots, using a toy airplane as the needle. They would "stab" their toy over and over again. All while Mikey was saying, "Shots hurt, but they good....they make you so you don't get sick....I'm a good doctor..."

No comments: