Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Birthday Cake

I have the most amazing calling in the LDS church - that of the Primary Chorister. Talk about wonderful. I have a guideline of what to teach (specific songs and such) but yet I am still able to allow my creative juices flow as I come up with the "how" to teach the children. Then singing time is a big playing time where I try to bring in the Spirit at some point. Children are so precious and I just love teaching them.
This month the kids are learning He Sent His Son; It is a beautiful song and has a great message. For the first week when I introduce and teach a song, I like to share the meaning of the song. Music is a great way for communicating, and I feel that when the children sing these beautiful songs they can be more in tune with the Spirit, and when they can understand what they are singing about they can further clarify what the Spirit is confirming.
All week I have been pondering on how to teach this song. I searched the web, I listened to the song non-stop, but the answer just was not coming to me.
Driving home from Costco on my birthday Saturday night I was thinking about how I was going to be birthday cakeless. That is when I was struck with wonderful guidance.
I told the kids that I hadn't gotten a birthday cake, so I was going to need their help in making a birthday cake for me. Up front I had a large mixing bowl with all sorts of ingredients. I introduced the song in the question/answer form. After the Primary could sing an entire question and answer I had one class come up and put ingredients for my cake. For some reason the children loved adding in Chili powder. The Senior primary figured out that I had both baking soda and vinegar on the table, so after a few classes went, I had to hide those ingredients.
The kids had a riot with this, trying to sing loudly and correctly so they could go up, loved stirring the mixture. By the end the mixture smelled more like a marinade than a cake.
I held up the mixture and told the kids that this is what happens when we try to make cake without a recipe or someone helping us. I then told them that God did not send us to the kitchen without a recipe - He did not send us to earth without having an example to follow. The message of the song is that God sent His Son so that we may know how to return to Him. All we need to do is follow Christ, read the recipe book (the scriptures) for understanding on how to do this.
I definitely did not even try baking the children's' mixture. I did have one sweet girl offer to make me a cake, but alas I made my own. We had it for our Family Home Evening treat.
I used a normal cake mix, then for the frosting I added vanilla pudding mix with 1 cup milk, 1 cup half and half. After I whipped that together I added some melted white chocolate chips (about 1.5 cups), 4 tablespoons of softened cream cheese, and about a cup of powdered sugar. It turned out quite delicious. Todd claims that it is the best cake he has ever had. I was just grateful for the inspiration it brought to me.

3 comments:

Tigger said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Sounds like you had a great birthday, and even more fun teaching your primary song!
Thanks for sharing.

Trapper and Suzy said...

By golly, I'm going to have to try that recipe out. That looks like a divine cake. And I loved the lesson you taught the kids. SO CREATIVE. Do you mind if I share what you did with the ladies in RS? I have a lesson and it would go right along with what I'm teaching.

Lauren and Trevor said...

Happy Birthday Loni!!!