It was the first time that all four of my children sat in Sacrament meeting reverently (well...I'm not sure you would say Grant was reverent, but he was quiet) And that is with me dealing with the kids all by myself since Todd was in the middle of working a 30 hour shift.
It was the first time- in a long time- that we were actually early for church!! (Maybe there is a correlation with being early and having your kids sit quietly through church - I need to remember that one)
It was the first time any of our kids gave a talk in Primary.
Mikey was asked to do a talk on, "All mankind may be saved through the Atonement of Christ". I was a little nervous about the topic because there is such deep meaning to it, meaning that I do not even yet comprehend, nor do I realize that I don't comprehend. Then I remembered that this was written about the scriptures:
"And by them their children were taught to read and write, having a language which was pure and undefiled"
Moses 5:6
The doctrine is what we are supposed to be teaching our children, and they may not understand it all the first time, but little by little they will understand it.
I knew that I wanted to make Mikey's talk simple, which would be better for him and for the entire Primary. I just didn't know how to go about getting the talk prepared.
Last week for Family Home Evening, Todd gave the lesson on the Atonement. And even though I've talked with the boys about the Atonement, this was a great introduction to the topic.
I had remembered reading an article in this month's Friend on the Atonement, but when I went to look for the magazine, I could not find it. I guess I shouldn't complain that my boys like "reading" it themselves, but it was frustrating not to find it. But thankfully the church has all of the articles online (I love the LDS church) and was able to print it out.
I have been working with Mikey and Roger on their reading for the last couple of months using How to Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons - which I love. So I wanted Mikey to read his talk rather than have me whisper it in his ear (mainly because I feared if I whispered in his ear, he may not follow my cues but rather close up and be quiet). But this still presented a problem because even though Mikey is reading very well for his age and capabilities, he still doesn't know a whole lot.
As I sat down with the Friend article, I was drawn to a paragraph that I suddenly realized that I may be able to change some of the wording and Mikey would be able to read it.
I went to work re-writing the paragraph, writing it using the style that he has been taught in the lessons, and before I knew it I had the talk written and Mikey was READING it!!!
Now, at this point you would've thought I would be calm and collected...but I am a parent and as a parent you always want your children to do well. I was nervous for him. Mostly because he can be quite shy. I was nervous that he would get up in front of the primary and refuse to speak and probably run off with tears. In my heart I prayed that this wouldn't happen, but it was out of my hands.
When closing exercises had begun for the Primary Mikey walked up to the front and stood up at the podium. I thanked him for remembering that he was giving the talk, but told him that it wasn't time yet. When it was time, he got up at the podium and was as comfortable talking into the microphone as he is talking to me. He did so great. He went through his talk without a hitch - well except for the part when I whispered for him to speak up and he yelled "repent" into the microphone.
I was so proud of my boy. I can't believe how much he has progressed. A year ago he never would have stood up in front of the other kids and spoken two words, yet now he not only stood up there and spoke, but he was comfortable. Those that know Mikey, know that this is HUGE.
The only sad thing was that Todd had to miss it because he was at work. When he got home I immediately had Mikey come and give his talk to Todd. As Mikey finished, Todd went to him and with tears in his eyes told Mikey how proud he was of him.
I was so proud of Mikey as well. And as much as I would love to say, "Yes, it's all because of me, I'm so brilliant...blaablaablaa" I am very humbled to not only have this wonderful boy in my home (a feeling I have felt quite often) but also humbled and grateful for the direction I felt from God in preparing for this talk.
As far as taking credit for the boys being reverent in church - that's all because of Todd. I swear he winds them up, so not having him there combined with some great positive re-enforcement beforehand, we had a great sacrament meeting ... and great Sabbath.
Here's Mikey performing his talk for us at Family Home Evening this week:
The doctrine is what we are supposed to be teaching our children, and they may not understand it all the first time, but little by little they will understand it.
I knew that I wanted to make Mikey's talk simple, which would be better for him and for the entire Primary. I just didn't know how to go about getting the talk prepared.
Last week for Family Home Evening, Todd gave the lesson on the Atonement. And even though I've talked with the boys about the Atonement, this was a great introduction to the topic.
I had remembered reading an article in this month's Friend on the Atonement, but when I went to look for the magazine, I could not find it. I guess I shouldn't complain that my boys like "reading" it themselves, but it was frustrating not to find it. But thankfully the church has all of the articles online (I love the LDS church) and was able to print it out.
I have been working with Mikey and Roger on their reading for the last couple of months using How to Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons - which I love. So I wanted Mikey to read his talk rather than have me whisper it in his ear (mainly because I feared if I whispered in his ear, he may not follow my cues but rather close up and be quiet). But this still presented a problem because even though Mikey is reading very well for his age and capabilities, he still doesn't know a whole lot.
As I sat down with the Friend article, I was drawn to a paragraph that I suddenly realized that I may be able to change some of the wording and Mikey would be able to read it.
I went to work re-writing the paragraph, writing it using the style that he has been taught in the lessons, and before I knew it I had the talk written and Mikey was READING it!!!
When closing exercises had begun for the Primary Mikey walked up to the front and stood up at the podium. I thanked him for remembering that he was giving the talk, but told him that it wasn't time yet. When it was time, he got up at the podium and was as comfortable talking into the microphone as he is talking to me. He did so great. He went through his talk without a hitch - well except for the part when I whispered for him to speak up and he yelled "repent" into the microphone.
I was so proud of my boy. I can't believe how much he has progressed. A year ago he never would have stood up in front of the other kids and spoken two words, yet now he not only stood up there and spoke, but he was comfortable. Those that know Mikey, know that this is HUGE.
I was so proud of Mikey as well. And as much as I would love to say, "Yes, it's all because of me, I'm so brilliant...blaablaablaa" I am very humbled to not only have this wonderful boy in my home (a feeling I have felt quite often) but also humbled and grateful for the direction I felt from God in preparing for this talk.
As far as taking credit for the boys being reverent in church - that's all because of Todd. I swear he winds them up, so not having him there combined with some great positive re-enforcement beforehand, we had a great sacrament meeting ... and great Sabbath.
Here's Mikey performing his talk for us at Family Home Evening this week:
1 comment:
Oh! I really want to see his talk, but it won't let me play it.
What a big milestone in a child's life!
Sounds like you are an awesome mom!
I am glad you and Mike had success with the talk, and you made it to 9 am church on time with four boys--yeah, you are pretty much amazing!
(Sara N.)
Post a Comment