Wednesday, November 10, 2010

iPhone


When the iPhone first came out, my dad got one. He was so impressed by it that he purchased one for each of his children. I didn't have a cell phone at the time, nor was I planning on getting one, so I accepted the iPhone with a little skepticism.
I was blown away with how amazing this device is. I can access my email at any time. When shopping I can compare prices by going online. The maps were terrific, especially since I had just moved to a new area. Not to mention that I could listen to music and have my calendar on hand. These are just a few things, and I KNOW that I under utilize it.
My iPhone has also been a necessary for my bike ridding. When my mom, Todd and I did our Palmyra to Kirtland bike ride, I used the maps from my phone for our directions. It came in very helpful.
Today Todd got off work early, so I went on a 50 mile bike ride. Because of the time change, I had forgotten how early it gets dark, at mile 30 I found myself riding in the dark.
The road I was on had no street lights, making it especially dark. At first I was so nervous that the cars behind me wouldn't see me and would hit me. I wasn't sure of how to make myself more noticeable, but they seemed to be able to notice me.
It continued to get darker and darker, my next concern was to be able to see the road ahead of me. The thought came to me to get on my iPhone and get some sort of light application. I pulled over to the side and within 5 minutes I had downloaded an application that had a light.
This light wasn't the brightest, but it served it's purpose. I was able to see and be seen.
I biked as fast as I dared. This was such a nerve-racking ride. I found so many tender mercies from the Lord come to me. There were many times when I came to a stop light, just to have it change in my favor (stopping on a bike is such a pain, especially with clip in shoes).
My iPhone's battery was very low, but somehow it lasted until I came to the last 8 miles of my ride, the part that has street lights and is well lit.

I am grateful for my iPhone.


Sent from my iPhone

3 comments:

Trapper and Suzy said...

I never cared for an iPhone, or even the rinky dink phone I have now, but this has changed my opinion! Now I can see why Trapper wants one so much. I'm glad you got home safely and that your iPhone didn't die! Scary!

The Andra Family said...

Hey, tell your Dad I could use one too please!

Danelle Robins said...

All hail the mighty iphone. It seems to be getting cooler as time goes by. Perhaps it could create an app where you actually gain time. Then I will probably buy one :)