Monday, November 8, 2010

Scriptures

Several months ago, our bishop challenged everyone to study the Book of Mormon as a family. I did not know about this because I was helping out in the Nursery during that particular meeting.
A week ago we had a combined meeting where some people talked about their experiences of taking on this challenge. I was grateful that reading the Book of Mormon was something that we were already doing, but the discussion did make me realize some other things.

We read the scriptures before the boys go to bed. We will sit on either Roger or Mikey's bed and read as much as time allows. We have an awesome set of scriptures, it's an illustrated version that has a picture for every page but keeps most of the same wording from the Book of Mormon. While we read the kids enjoy and understand the stories, but they also ask a lot of questions in trying to understand God and His desires for us. We have had some amazing discussions that have stemmed from what we have read in the scriptures. Many times I have been filled with gratitude for the conversations that we have had.

For my own personal scripture time I have been studying the Old Testament. It has been great and very fascinating, but it also has been difficult. The language can be hard to understand and the culture is unlike our own. Some days I don't feel as spiritually uplifted as I normally do after finishing studying the scriptures, but I have found that I have had great insights come to me as we read the Book of Mormon as a family, making me fill more fulfilled.

The scriptures are such a blessing, reading them affords us a great time to reflect on our lives, our choices, our desires, all while learning more about our Heavenly Father.

Tonight during Family Home Evening we played the game, "Guess who I am". In this game we give clues about a Scriptural or church character and everyone has to guess who we are talking about. We went around the room, everyone giving great clues as to who they were while everyone else was shouting out their guesses. When it came to William's turn he started out with, "I flew to the moon.....I wear a spacesuit..."
I think he may not have been listening during scripture time

1 comment:

Danelle Robins said...

Don't worry- the blessing sometimes don't show up for many years later! Keep it up you amazing lady you!