Thursday, November 4, 2010

Leaves

Everyone knows how much fun jumping in the leaves can be, and my boys are no exception.
We had tons of leaves come down and the boys spent most of the afternoon climbing in it. They thought it was their own personal play spot. They hid in the leaves, jumped in them, threw them at each other, and giggled and giggled.
Mikey saw Todd and I raking and when I had put my rake down to take pictures, he grabbed my rake and started working. He's a very good helper and always very excited to help.
The boys love our mail lady, they will run outside and retrieve the mail from her before she can put it in the mailbox. The boys were so excited to see her came by as they were playing in the leaves. They very adamantly told her to NOT run over the leaves.

Today the weather wasn't as nice, but the clean up crew from the city that picks up the leaves and sticks drove down our street. I thought the boys would enjoy watching the vacuum contraption suck up the leaves from the street into the truck, so I called them to come watch it happen.

I was happy to see the truck pull in front of our house and start sucking up our leaves (sometimes it takes weeks before they show up to your house), Roger was distraught. "Why are they taking OUR leaves!!! So they can just have them all! Are they taking them to their house!"
I was looking forward to getting rid of the leaves, but I didn't think about how my boys were very attached to the leaves. Good thing we have a lot of trees and there are more to rake now.

Don't worry, I didn't forget to list something I am grateful for. I am grateful for the simple things in life, like playing in the leaves. Sometimes we think we need something huge - a big celebration, a promotion, a get-away cruise, an award or recognition - to make us happy. Watching my kids playing in the leaves I thought about how it didn't matter what toys they had, where else I took them that week, or how popular they are, my boys were having a great time and enjoying one of the simplest things of life. I need to be more like them.

No comments: