Monday, November 15, 2010

Speech Class

Out of all my kids, William started speaking at the earliest age. I attributed it to the fact that he had a "simple language" spoken to him by his older brothers. His speech continued to progress and his vocabulary and comprehension are wonderful. The only problem is that comprehending what he is saying can be quite difficult.

I decided to have him evaluated and sure enough he needs help with his speech. When we met with the people who evaluated William they all kept going on and on about how brilliant he is, I was feeling great until my social worker sister pointed out that compared to what they usually see William is a genius. Thanks Lyndee.

William has started what we call Speech Class. Once a week we go to a local elementary school where he meets with Miss Karen and another boy his age. The staff at the school have been very helpful and accomedating. During William's class, the boys and I can go play on the playground or go to the library and read books, and even check out books. The first time I took the boys to the school it took about 15 minutes just to walk down the hallway, then I realized that this school-stuff was all new to them. After using the restroom, Mikey and Roger came out exclaiming that the sinks were their size!

William has only had 3 classes to date, but I am very grateful for this opportunity for him to have his Speech Class. Not only will it help him with the clarity of his speech, but it also is gives him an opportunity to have a class or activity that is just his.

I am grateful for Speech Class

No comments: