Amazingly enough, with 4 boys we have only had 1 broken bone and 1 ER visit...until Monday..JPG)
Todd had been working a string of nights. This means he sleeps during the day, and with 4 boys in the house, you can imagine it can be quite difficult. Even though Todd is incredibly sweet and insists that I shouldn't worry about it, I know that he needs his sleep and try to get him all that he can. During the morning hours, Todd is sleeping so hard that it's not much of a problem of us being there, then about 1 or 2 is when Todd has been sleeping for about 5 hours and can wake easily even though he needs more sleep. I try to get the boys out of the house during that time.I had to go to Costco, but it was starting to be a little warm, so we stopped at a park near Costco first. The boys were all having a great time, it was a great park, one of those wooden parks that my boys call a castle park. The sun was shining, and I was enjoying the fact that my boys were all playing together so nicely.
They climbed onto a "car", which was really just a box structure with a steering wheel and it teetered around. Grant was on one of the sides, which was only 2 feet from the ground. Someone jumped on the car, causing it to jolt and Grant fell onto his side.
I saw it happen and knew that it was not a good fall. I ran over to him and got down on the ground to hold him. He cried more than he usually does. He said, "Let's go home" - which is something he always will say if he's sad or upset about something when we're not home. I held him for a minute, then I took him over to a bench and held him on my (shrinking) lap.
I had tried to inspect his arm for I had seen how he had fallen on it, but he refused to let me see it. I asked him to raise his arm, but he refused. The kids were all playing well and I was sure that Todd was still asleep, so I just held Grant. With his head on my belly, he soon fell asleep.
About 45 minutes later, Grant woke up. I called out to all of the boys and we piled into the car to go to Costco. I told Grant that we would have Daddy look at his arm, but then he told me his arm was better. But when I lifted him into his car seat, and then again later into the shopping cart, he winced in pain. When Todd woke up he called me. I told him that he needed to check out Grant's arm when we got home. He asked if he had dislocated it and I told him that I wouldn't be surprised, but didn't know since Grant wouldn't let me touch or look at it.
We got home and Todd helped me unload the car. While I put the things away, Todd checked out Grant's arm. A couple of minutes later Todd came to me and informed me that Grant had broken his collar bone. Todd wanted to get an x-ray to make sure that it was indeed broken and that the shoulder wasn't hurt as well. I had planned on meeting a couple of my friends for dinner (something I rarely do) in just 15 minutes, and Todd was going to take the boys to Michael's soccer practice. I told Todd I could take Michael and the boys while he took Grant over to the hospital. He was very sweet and insisted that I go with my friends. He took Michael to his practice, then afterwards went over to the hospital.
Since he works in the ER, Todd just took Grant to X-ray. All of the people Todd works with were really helpful to him and kept commenting on how adorable Grant is. A few of them would pat Grant's shoulder, saying "Hey there Buddy", not knowing Grant's shoulder was injured, which caused Grant to wince in pain. But they were all very nice and concerned about him.
Sure enough, the X-ray showed that Grant had broken his collar bone. Todd put a sling on him and brought him home. The injury wouldn't be that bad, but Grant refuses to take any medicine. He hates medicine, always has. I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact that he came into the world without medicine, or what, but all of my kids love medicine, but Grant hates it. So things have been a little bit more difficult for he is so sore but won't take anything to help his pain.
I don't know what it is about collar bones, William broke his last year, when he was four. So far those are the only bones any of my boys have ever broken. The only bone I have broken was my collar bone when I was 3, and apparently my dad broke his collar bone when he was younger. We may just have weak collar bones...but maybe we have strong back bones.

No comments:
Post a Comment