The last couple of weeks our family has been dealing with sickness. It started with Michael, then a couple of days later it went with Grant, then to William, then to Roger, then to me. Michael would not communicate how he was feeling very well, for every morning I would ask him how he was feeling and he would say "better". I had assumed that he was feeling better, not better than he was the day before but still sick. So of course, I would require him to do his chores and writing assignments. Then, after he had exerted all his energy, he would lie on the couch, not feeling very well. This made me feel like a bad mom, but he is always incredibly forgiving.
Grant was lethargic for a couple of days. He didn't run around as much and watched a couple of movies. William got the sickest of the boys. He threw up for a couple of days, but is a throwing up champ for he never missed puking into a bucket. Roger got it the least severe.
Fortunately, the sickness wasn't too bad, that is until I got it. When you're pregnant, your immune system goes down so that your body doesn't kill off your own baby. I think with my compromised immune system, this sickness just attacked me. I was sick for a couple of days, exhausted, not feeling great, but then by the third day I was bedridden. I could barely leave my bed. I was in such a fog, I would just sleep and sleep, cough, and not feel good, only being able to take Tylenol to relieve my pain. I ended up staying in bed for about 4 days.
The worst part of it, was that Todd worked almost every day and unfortunately his is not a job that he can call in sick. Around meal times (well, actually long after appropriate meal times) I would walk downstairs, throw some kind of food together, usually PB&J, leave it on the counter for the boys then I would crawl back to bed. Then about 8 PM, I would ask the boys to get their PJs on and go to bed...which they did. I hated not being downstairs with my kids, and a couple of times a day Grant would come and lie with me, just needing me to hold him. But, I was really impressed with how my boys did. My house did not stay clean, that was to be expected. But whenever I was awake, I would hear them downstairs playing together, with a lot of giggling and very little fighting. I think they had a great time for they didn't turn on movie or play any video games the whole time.
After my time staying in bed, I still didn't feel great. I still felt sick and my energy was nonexistent. I even decided to forgo our annual Passover meal because I didn't have the energy or strength to put it together. I was sick for a total of two weeks, and Michael first got sick a week before I did, so we had a sick house for 3 weeks.
Todd of course was incredibly sweet the whole time. He didn't get sick, probably because he wasn't home enough to get it (and he was probably the one that brought the bug home from the hospital to begin with). Last Friday he had work off. I still wasn't feeling great and didn't have any energy. He decided that he wanted to take the boys to the zoo, by himself, just for a couple of hours. Well, he stayed for a lot longer than a couple of hours, they stayed until it closed! They all had a great time. Todd said that the boys minded him very well. I was grateful for the rest and break that I got, as well as grateful that my boys were able to go do something besides just stay home. Apparently the boys were grateful as well, for Michael said to Todd, "This is fun....we haven't gone anywhere for a long time!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow babe! I'm hoping that you get back on your feet soon. Being sick while pregnant is the worst! I'm glad that your boys were so wonderful to you :) Take care!
I had no idea that you were that sick!! I am so sorry, I wish that I had known..I would've taken your boys for a few hours or cooked you dinner..or SOMETHING! Please don't hesitate to text me and tell me that you need something!
Post a Comment