A friend came up to me at church and said, "Well, it's a good thing that Todd has been released from his calling so that he has more time to be Chief". She was poking fun at the irony of what I had written earlier this month. Yes, now Todd has a new calling. One that feels a little overwhelming, at least for me. He has been called to be on the Stake High Council.
When Todd got released from being Elder's Quorum President, he was a little sad, he loved his calling even though it was stressful. I was thrilled. I love that Todd is so willing to serve, and I am very supportive of his service, but I knew what stress it was causing and was elated with the idea that he wouldn't have such a stressful calling. When I had gotten released from being the Primary Chorister in January, I was sad to no longer be with the kids (especially after 2.5 years), but I was also grateful to receive a less demanding calling (I now get to teach Sunday School to the 12-13 year olds - great kids and great experience....and a lot less work).
When Todd got released, he was told to enjoy himself for the bishop didn't have anything immediately in mind for him. After not having a calling for a week or two, Todd was starting to really appreciate that he was no longer EQP. He would even joke, saying things to me like, "Hometeaching numbers need to be entered in by tomorrow.....not my problem". We did wonder what his next calling would be, grateful that the Young Mens (that's a huge calling) had been recently filled.
A couple of weeks ago I was talking with my friend. She mentioned how her brother had just been called as a High Counciler in his stake and how it was such a surprise since he was so young...he is Todd's age. As she was telling me this, I got a feeling. This feeling, though I would love to say that it was a feeling of comfort, was a "Uh-oh...that's Todd's next calling".
Last Sunday Todd was asked to meet with the Stake President on Tuesday. Of course he didn't tell me until later Sunday. We talked about the possibilities of what it may be that he was meeting for. Since he wasn't asked to bring me along, I figured that maybe I shouldn't worry about anything, but I still had a feeling, High Council.
Tuesday came and Todd went to his meeting with the Stake President. He said that on the way to the church he had a strong feeling that he was being called to the High Council, and sure enough he was. When he came home to tell me, I wasn't surprised, but yet I was.
The next couple of days I felt very overwhelmed for Todd. He was Chief Resident, he was going to have his 5th child, and he just got a demanding calling. Todd was very calm through all of this.
I am feeling a lot less anxious for Todd. I actually am feeling calm for him - and me seeing that there may be many Sundays that I will have to take all the kids to church myself...something I have done many times before. Todd feels that it will be a great experience for him, that he will be able to learn a lot and receive great insights and council from those he will be working with.
In some ways, I think this calling may be easier than EQP (now, I realize I may retract this later, so be nice when I have to eat my words). With EQP, Todd felt a heavy load for he was the leader of a group, and it didn't help that he had little to no help the last 6-8 months he was in it. Whereas with HC, he will be part of a council - not the leader of it. I guess we will see how this all goes.
Monday, April 16, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Always something new! Good luck to Todd (and you).
Post a Comment