Monday, April 2, 2012

Duties

 For about the last year, Todd has been pressured about being the Chief Resident for the hospital for his last year which starts in July. He consulted with me about my thoughts and feelings. I was torn. Selfishly, I didn't want him to be chief for it meant that he had more responsibilities and I feel that he has enough extra responsibilities without becoming chief. But, I also knew and understood that becoming chief had it's perks and honors. It's great on a resume and I know that even though there is absolutely no financial compensation, there are professional perks and honors...in many ways it can be compared to being chosen as the football team captain. I knew that Todd has worked hard, and that if he wanted to be chief, he had earned it; therefore I told him that I supported him in whatever his decision.
A couple of months ago Todd came to me and informed me that he had decided that he was not going to be chief. I was happy about this, but before I showed too much excitement, I asked him why he had decided this. What he said made me even happier.
He said that he had a family and that though he was sure he could do the job of chief, he wanted to focus on his boys and family. He also felt that this was just the first step in a long professional life of "..if you will take on this extra position, you'll get paid more money.....". Even though Todd really enjoys what he does, has said that if he has to be away from us, there's nothing else he would rather do, he also realizes that his first priority is his family.
A week later he got a call from the current chief, the director of the residency program wanted to know if he wanted to be chief. I heard Todd answer this phone call and I was nervous. Todd is such a people-pleaser, I was sure he would cave and say "yes'....but he didn't.
Well, fast forward a couple of months. The other good option for chief is a girl that is now pregnant with her first child. Todd soon realized that he may need to step it up after all. When he won the popular vote from the other residents, the director of the program brought him into his office. Todd accepted the position of chief resident.
I wasn't upset, I understood the circumstances. Plus, Todd recently was released from his calling as Elders Quorum President, so he should have more free time. I am just grateful for the experience of having Todd decide on his own and come up with the decision to put his family first. He is such a great husband and father, and God knows where his heart is.
This may mean that the next year will be a little bit more exhausting than we had imagined, but at least he has always found ways to spend time with his boys....even if it means being a little uncomfortable.

1 comment:

Danelle Robins said...

and that is why we all love Todd so much, for the example he is.