My mom has been training and running marathons since we ran our first (my only) one together in 2006, the Ogden Utah Marathon. This year is the first time she’s done the Ogden Marathon since we did it. I was up in Northern Utah with her, so I was going to go watch her run. A couple of days before the race my sister-in-law, Tavia, tells me that she may run the half-marathon and invites me to join her. I think about it for a second, scared of the memory of my last half-marathon, and tell her that I’ll do it if we can still get signed up. The next day my mom had to sign in and pick up her packet for the race. I went to the information booth seeking to sign up for the half-marathon, only to find out that it had been full since January. I took that as our answer. That night I’m eating dinner with Tavia and she mentions that we could just run it “Bandit style”. I’m not prepared, I tell her, I have not trained, I did not bring any running clothes, nor running shoes. Of course my mom had an extra pair of shoes, and I could come up with some sort of running outfit...so early the next morning Tavia and I got dropped off at the half-way point of the marathon and ran. On the way to the half-marathon point, we spotted my mom running. She is so awesome. I couldn’t believe how well she was doing. This year she’s doing the Grand Slam, which is 5 marathons in 5 months in Utah. I did do better this time, having an ipod really helped. But still, with my lack of training, the last couple of miles just wiped me out. BUT, my recovery was better this time! And I do think I did have an easier time running than Todd did with watching the kids.
Saturday, May 16, 2009
The Crazy Bug Strikes Again
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment