Wednesday, March 10, 2010

No More Bampa's House

I have to inform you of the injury that William sustained as I was biking.

It had started raining, so my very sweet father went to go check on us bikers, make sure we were okay. While he was gone the kids continued to play as my sister, Lana, watched them. William hit a side table in the living room and was face down on the floor, curled up into a ball. All of the other kids got really quiet, which made Lana take notice. William wasn't making any sounds, so she just assumed that he got the air knocked out of him and went over to comfort him. She lifted him up to expose blood all over his face and hands. He was crying so hard that he wasn't making any sound (if you have kids, you know what cry that is). She carried him into the kitchen and tried to comfort him while she washed him off and asses the injury. He freaked out about the blood on his hands, and kept insisting on needing a band-aid on them, but once Lana washed them off he forgot about the hands.
Lana tried calling my dad, but his phone had no service at the time. She said that she just wanted to cry (I don't blame her, it can be quite traumatic) but knew that it would only cause William more distress. She kept a positive outlook and talked William through it all.
When my dad got home, they cleaned him up a little more and discovered that he had a huge gash between his eyebrows where he hit the table. They put a bandage on it and my dad brought William up to me.
I was almost to the 75 mile point. I felt great and knew that I could continue on, but I kept thinking about how I hadn't even seen Grant that day and felt that my kids needed me. I had already decided this for myself when I met up with my dad at the 75 mile point. He pulled up to me and told me that I needed to look at William, that he had been hurt.
No mother ever wants to hear this, so I ran over to the back of the van to discover William there, face bandaged, shirt covered in blood, head slumped over and sleeping. With the expertise that my dad had put on the bandage, I assumed that he had just come from the doctor's office. Then my dad asked me, "What do you think? Should we take him to the doctor's?" I pealed back the bandage, but couldn't decide. I tried calling Todd, but couldn't get a hold of him, so I didn't know what to do or think. I finally decided that we may as well get it looked at.
My mom and I took him to the nearest insta-care. We were the only patients there, so they were quick and attentive to us. My mom and I were freezing, we were still in our riding gear and wet from the rain and sweat. The doctor said that his cut was deep and wide, so he definitely needed stitches - 5 to be exact.
William did such a great job. He let the doctor work on him without wiggling - which would be pretty difficult seeing that the doctor was stitching him up right between the eyes!!! He only started crying a couple of times, but remained still.
When he got all finished he said, "The doc'ter fixed me".
I can't complain. This is the first time any of my kids have ever gotten - or needed stitches. And going that long, with that many siblings, with all of them being boys - that is amazing. I'm just grateful it wasn't severe.
But I do have to say, I'm not sure Bampa's house is the safest place. Last summer was the first (and only) time we've taken a child to the ER, and it happened at Bampa's house. All of my boys went home from Bampa's house with some sort of abrasion on their nose, except for Roger. I'm not sure going to his house is worth it!He's a tough little boy.

4 comments:

Mark 'n Mindee West said...

Ohhhh poor guy!

The Andra Family said...

Luckily that's something I surprisingly haven't had to go thru. It was nice having u at lunch the other week.

Kristin said...

Poor kid! I'm glad he's okay. And I must say, Lana did a great job dealing with it!

Katie said...

poor will-dawg! When spencer saw the picture he HAD to call livi into the room saying, "Livi, come look, it is bad, very, very bad. Come look at william!" Too cute. hope he feels better soon!