As the winter approached this year, I figured I would just endure the cold, no big deal, I've done it before. The weather in Southern Ohio and the weather in Northern Ohio are a little bit different. Not only were the roads and sidewalks icy, but it gets so bone-chilling cold that even in all my gear and after running for an hour I was still wanting to cry because I was so cold and could not even feel my fingers within my gloves.
I was sad to say a temporary good-bye to running with Melissa. I had grown to look forward to our weekly 2 hour conversation (even if it started at 5 in the morning), yet we couldn't run together for the time being. One morning when it was abnormally warm, we decided to go running, but quickly discovered that our run would be more like ice skating than anything.
The Rec center has an indoor track above it's gym, so I've been keeping up my running there. It's not too bad, but running while talking to someone versus listening to music are very different. Plus, while running outside there is scenery to look at, there is nothing new to look at on the track after you have run the first lap. NOT TO MENTION that it takes 12 LAPS to equal 1 MILE. (talk about getting dizzy). I have been listening to some books on tape - finished the Harry Potter Series- to help me get through. But how do you keep track of your mileage? I use this:
4 comments:
I'm not sure if you have an iPhone or an iPod touch, but if you do, you should check out the Nike+ app. I got it a few weeks ago (the shoe thing is only $30), and it's pretty awesome. I was running into the same problem...how in the world to keep track of 80 or 90 laps. Especially when talking to someone. The sensor goes in or on your shoe, and it is a pretty accurate pedometer. I'm not explaining it really well, but it rocks.
My sister in law has a Garmin thingy that she wears that does about the same thing.
But I like the paper idea. :)
I need your ambition to run!
When I swim, it takes 36 laps for a mile. So, I use a float board at the end of the lane. It is shaped that one end is concave and one end is convex. I have 4 strokes that I do, so every time I finish a set of 4, I turn the board clockwise. I start out with it concave side up. When it gets concave up again, it is the 20 lap set. The next time, it is 36. The things we do to keep track ;)
It's all so complicated! I've used rocks in my pocket when running outside...but even then, I would forget if/when I dropped it. Just keep it up - -whatever you are doing. I think it's great.
Post a Comment