Pain is a funny thing. When you are in it, you feel it and almost nothing else. When you are not in it, you may forget what the pain was like, you remember it hurt and that you did not like it, but do you really remember exactly what it felt like?
For instance, when you have back pain, you cannot do many physical activities and you start wondering if you could just even lie down without pain. When the back pain is gone - and some time has gone by- you start forgetting about the pain and often do activities that will find yourself once again in back pain.
I always forget how terrible morning sickness is, even now when I experienced it not too long ago. I remember feeling nauseated, and I remember my feelings, like why would I ever want to do this again, but yet I somewhat have forgotten how miserable it really is. I can really understand how husbands can become unsympathetic about pregnancy and its illnesses because it's difficult to remember that the woman is always in some kind of pain, yet she still functions.
Even childbirth - which I went through just 3 weeks ago - is something I'm starting to forget about the pain. I remember feeling like I should not be alive, but yet the intensity of the pain has been somewhat forgotten. I again am feeling brave and am tempted to say, "Oh, it's not that bad" - something we hear countless older women saying, women who haven't given birth in decades and won't ever do it again so they will never have to prove to you that they view it that way.
I am feeling pain now, that I have forgotten about. You forget how painful it is to function when you have to wake up every couple of hours to feed your baby. I've done this before, remembered that I was tired, but it's not until I have a newborn that I'm getting up with that I really remember how tired you get. Remember how much you would give just for an extra hour of sleep. Remember how easily you get upset with your other children because you are just sooo tired.
Anyway, I'd finish this post, but I am just way too tired!
Friday, June 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Sleep takes precedence over everything around here! I hope you get a nap!
Amen Loni... I sympathize with you on the sleepless nights.. I write this at 3 am as I have just finished nursing my own babe.. hang in there girlfriend.. through all the pain the rewards are great.
Hang in there Loni. I sympathize with you as I am writing this at 3 am as I just finished nursing my own baby. Remember through it all the rewards are great.. the smiles, laughter, hugs and kisses as that baby grows are irreplacable.
You are AMAZING and yes, it's so easy to forget how tiring raising a new born can be. I absolutely think it's the WORST! People just don't understand how bad it is and how crazy you become because of the lack of sleep. You just have to get through the next couple months- sadly, time is the only cure for the craziness :) Keep it up and know that us other Mom's have been there and will be there again :)
Post a Comment