Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Playing Favorites?

We put the boys to bed around 8 every night. They will usually try to push the limit for the first little bit by trying to find reasons to leave their rooms, or just blatantly leave their rooms hoping we won't put them back in bed.

For the last couple of months, William has gotten a little sly. He will wait until his brothers are asleep, then he will come downstairs to join Todd and I. I really can't figure out if he understands that if he came down while the other boys were still awake it would cause a problem or if he just gets bored when they're asleep so he comes to find more awake people. He enters where we are looking so cute, being sure to lower his head, look up at us, put his finger to his mouth, and plead to us with his expression to not send him away. Normally, I can be a pretty tough mom. I give my kids a lot of love and affection, but I try to maintain the boundaries. I am a sucker for this kid (or maybe you just loosen up with time/kids). He has got me wrapped around his finger, so of course I don't send him away.


He is the best at manipulating me with the facial expressions he makes

So, he'll come eat a snack with us, watch a movie, or just hang out with us. I really don't mind because he is the only one (besides Grant) who takes a daily nap, and it does give us an opportunity to have alone time with him.


We're just worried that this will continue until he is older, and that's not what we are nervous about. We just don't know how his brothers will take it if, or when, they learn that their brother has been going downstairs after bedtime all these years. William really would have a case saying that he was the favorite.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Hahahaha, hilarious Lon Bon! Josh is the same way, it's so hard to not want to spend one on one time with them but I'm so worried he's going to make a habit of it! Someday Jackson will read my blog and think, hey I was sleeping like a sucker while Josh was in cuddling with mom and dad!? Hahhaa, oh well!

Five Alive said...

Not to worry Loni, it does get better when he stops taking naps during the day. Benjamin still tries that same trick occassionaly, often pleading he is hungry. Sometimes I give in and other times I use the tough love and send him back to bed. Your not alone, besides I would melt at those faces too.

Natalie Buchkovich said...

Nice beard Todd! William is such a cutie! Hope to see you guys around Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

you know what tho? if you don't then he'll tell stories about how traumatizing his childhood was and how horribly neglected he was being the third child... that's just me speculating tho...