Thursday, September 4, 2008

First Day of School





Today was the first day of school for Mikey and Roger. We are doing Joy School -which is a program that a couple of other moms and I take turn teaching. We have "school" at someones house twice a week for two hours. The thing that I like is that I know each of the other mothers, I trust them, we have similar values, and we love each other's kids. After each class we are able to discuss any concerns and celebrate any progress. Because we are so few, we can really focus on the individuals.
These are their Joy School friends: Samuel, Molly, Roger, Anna, Nathan, Elizabeth, and Mikey
I really am not ready nor willing to send my boys to a "formal preschool". -I know what your thinking, "With so many young ones, aren't you anxious to start getting a break by sending them off to school?" Well, my answer is no, for the most part I enjoy my kids and don't want them to grow up too fast, but also they have their whole lives to go to school. I only get one opportunity to raise my kids, so I want to do as much of it as possible.
Now, I am not against preschool, I believe every parent is entitled to their own personal opinion of what is best for their own child - and every child is different. I may put several of my own children in pre-school. But right now for both Mikey and Roger, I want my child to be a kid, to play and not worry if they don't know how to spell their name - they will all catch up sometime. I feel that with Joy School they are able to celebrate being a kid for it really is just a glorified playdate. And honestly, do you know which of your friends started reading at age four and who started reading at age six?

4 comments:

Mark 'n Mindee West said...

You have some good points. I worry too much about how I'm going to teach my kids everything and make sure they are smart. Sometimes I lose track of the most important thing which is family and love.

Katie said...

Well, we have livi in preschool, but we may just be joining you guys in the next few months since we aren't sure how it will go!! Looks like your boys are having a great time!

SF in Motion said...

Joy school is so much fun, and You will be really good at it too.

The Lassen Family said...

I love your perspective on Joy School! Cute photos of the boys. And I love the group one too. Can you send me the photo of all the kids together?